Bloomington and Normal have designated by ordinance a group of historically important districts because of their special history and their cultural value to the community. You may already be familiar with these by such names as White Place and Cedar Crest.
In addition, the Twin Cities have historic districts designated by the federal government. These districts have been entered into the nation's premier list of important historical sites, the National Register of Historic Places. The boundaries of the two, as designated by local and federal organizations, may be the same but are not necessarily so. For example, White Place Historic District in Bloomington has the same name in its local and Federal designation; however, the geographical areas are somewhat different.
Designated Historic Districts
6 Clinton Place, Craftsman-Style Residence
Cedar Crest Historic District (Normal)
North of Division Street, south of Highland Avenue, West of Constitution Trail and east of Fell Avenue. The first comprehensively designed subdivision in the town. Almost all the houses there are original to the 1914-1930 period of development are thought to be the work of architect Aaron Simmons. His designs contribute to the visual unity of the area.
Downtown Bloomington Historic District (Bloomington)
Roughly bordered by East, Center and Locust Streets and the Norfolk Southern Railroad tracks. (selected individual addresses are S-4) The 100 year time span of development, 1842-1942, chronicles the changes in styles, technology, and building materials. Buildings both before and after the downtown fire of June 1900 exist in this area.
Davis-Jefferson Historic District (Bloomington)
Includes portions of 900-1100 East Jefferson Street and 202 and 204 Davis Street. Large, comfortable private residences characterize this district of late 19c and early 20c houses. East Grove Street Historic District, Bloomington Includes 400-700 East Grove Street and is bounded on the west by Gridley Street and on the east by Clinton Street. A residential area notable for houses of many individuals prominent in Bloomington's growth in mid 19c -early 20c and for its continuum of development periods, 1850s through early 20c Arts and Crafts style.
Fell Park Historic District (Normal)
Bounded by Oak, Cyprus, North Walnut, and Willow Streets. The park was in the center of the first addition to the town of Normal in 1857. Includes a water tower deeded to the town by the Fell family to provide a reliable source of water for the neighborhood.
Franklin Square Historic District (Bloomington)
Includes Franklin Park; the 300 and 400 blocks of East Chestnut and East Walnut Streets and the 900 block of North Prairie and North McLean Street. Franklin Park, a 19c park donated to the city in 1856, has offered outdoor activities and environment to visitors and to the surrounding residences for almost 150 years. The park is named for the man who was then mayor, Franklin Price.
308 Highland Avenue, Prairie-Style Foursquare
Highland Historic District (Normal)
All properties on the west side of South Fell Avenue from Glenn Avenue to Highland Avenue; the north side of Highland from South Fell to Prospect Avenue; the east side of Prospect from Highland to Virginia Avenue; the north and south sides of Virginia from South Fell to Prospect; the north side of Virginia from Prospect to Franklin Avenue; and the east side of Franklin from Virginia to Sugar Creek. An area of residences with a wide variety of styles. Many were built between 1920 and 1940 though the oldest one was built in 1889. Contains singular examples of special historic value.
Old North Normal Historic District (Normal)
The 500 through 800 blocks of Normal Avenue on both sides of the street; the 500 through 700 blocks of School Street on both sides of the street; the 800 block of School Street on the west side of the street; 407, 409, 411, and 413 Normal Avenue; the 300 block of Gregory Street and the 300 block of Clay Street. The most recent of Normal's historic districts focuses on the patterns of northward development from the original central downtown area.
North Roosevelt Avenue Historic District (Bloomington)
Bounded by Union Street, West Empire Street, North Lee Street, and North Madison Street. Largely a working class residential area. Many residents were Irish and Hungarian immigrants who chose to live near the Chicago and Alton Railroad shops on the west side of Bloomington.
White Place Historic District (Bloomington)
The west side of Fell Avenue between University and Phoenix; the east side of Fell Avenue between Empire Street and Emerson Street; Clinton Boulevard; and White Place. A distinctive residential neighborhood that is an example of a late-19c and early 20c upper-class subdivision. Entry gates off Empire Street remain as do an early fountain and brick streets.
National Register of Historical Places
Bloomington Business District (Bloomington) - roughly bordered by Madison, Front, East, and Locust Streets.
East Grove Street Historic District (Bloomington) - 400-700 East Grove Street.
Franklin Square Historic District (Bloomington) - 300 & 400 blocks of East Chestnut and East Walnut Streets and 900 block of North Prairie and North McLean Streets.
LeRoy Commercial Historic District (LeRoy) - 111-123,200-223, 300 Center and 106-118 Chestnut Streets.
White Place Historic District (Bloomington) - White Place, Clinton Boulevard, and the east side of Fell Avenue between Empire and Emerson Streets.
Cedar Crest Historic District (Normal) - North of Division Street, south of Highland Avenue, West of Constitution Trail and east of Fell Avenue.